Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Quick Solution for Making Custom Sink Shapes

Yesterday I took on my first custom sink order of the year (and brother could I use 12 more of these to get me through winter).  Over the last 5-6 years my sink business has become a pretty regular feature of my shop production.  This is a GOOD thing.  People that are in the market for sinks have something major going on in their lives--building a house or taking on a large renovation--and there often are a lot more orders to follow.  Beyond the look of my work, I think one reason that I've been a regular choice  with many of the designers and builders in my area  is that I'm able to custom make sinks to match almost any size or dimension needed.  I used to shy away from anything other than a wheel thrown vessel sink (mounted above counter top)until I discovered the wonder material for making custom molds:  blue board insulation.  With a jig saw and a sheet of blue board, I can produce in ten minutes a mold for almost any order that walks in the door.  I've done my best to document the process in the pictures that follow.
Using 1 " blue board, Set a Jigsaw to 45 degrees and cut the desired sink shape
Trace the bottom of the cutout on the next piece of blueboard and cut it out.  Repeat until a desired depth has been achieved.  Tack all pieces together with epoxy.
Drape a slab into the mold.  Most Sinks I use 3 overlapping slaps.  Compress and scrape.
I usually add and texture an extruded rim.  For sinks, heft is good.
Complete texture and interior elements while sink is in the mold
Important:  build up the bottom of the sink to ensure proper drainage to the hole (no flat bottoms).
After a few days, encourage the sink out of the mold.  I like to hold it on its side and separate the pieces.
Use a hole saw bit for making a 1.25" hole.  Here I added an extruded coil to make a foot.
I'm stiffening the foot so I can flip the sink and adjust for level.
Notice textured outside.
Nice sink.  Lousy photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment